• 773 741 1359
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Fire Safety Learning Center

Articles and other information related to fire safety equipment and procedures in Illinois.
Font size: +

Highly Flammable Everyday Items

colored flames

Highly Flammable Everyday Items

There are everyday items we use in our homes or place of work that we do not even consider could be highly flammable. Fires happen much more often than we think, and most times can be avoided or prevented. Below is a list of items that are flammable and should be used with caution.

Rubbing Alcohol

Rubbing alcohol is one of the most flammable items in people’s homes. We use it for common things around the household but most people are not aware that it is so flammable. It can easily start a fire if it comes in contact with open flames. The best way to prevent this from happening is to keep it away from any open flames, and to make sure it isn’t near high heat or other flammable items.


Aerosols are all around our homes and workplaces. We often see aerosols in the form of air fresheners, deodorants, spray paints, sunscreens, and some cleaning products. You always want to use aerosols away from any open flames, and away from other flammable items. It is a good idea to not keep aerosols in high heat as they can combust due to the pressure and temperature.


Mattresses are rarely thought of as flammable but are actually, on average, linked to 10,000 home fires a year. They can catch on fire very quickly and most often happens due to bedside candles or smoking cigarettes in bed. By being aware that mattresses are highly flammable you can avoid any flammable items near your bed to ensure this never happens.

Nail Polish

Acetone is one of the main ingredients inside most nail polishes and nail polish removers. The acetone is highly flammable just like rubbing alcohol. It is best to remain cautious of your surroundings when using nail polish or nail polish remover. Make sure it isn’t being used near flames, candles, or other flammable household items.

Dryer Lint

Dryer lint is one of the main causes for dryers catching on fire. This can easily be prevented by making sure you clean the lint trap after each use. Do not let the lint build up as that causes the dryer to over heat and the ducts become blocked resulting in a fire. You should also have your dryer cleaned by a professional every couple of years to make sure there is no blockage in the ductwork. Not only will this prevent fires but it will also extend the life of your dryer!

Cooking Oil

The kitchen is one of the most dangerous parts of a house. Cooking oils are very flammable when over heated and can result in very large and severe fires. If you ever are frying food or using a deep fryer you will want to make sure you keep the temperature as low as possible and always have a fire extinguisher easily accessible nearby. Never leave oil or any other food cooking unattended.

The best way to practice fire safety in Chicago is to have professionals such as Connected Fire to come out and inspect your residence or place of business.

Fire Safety Tips for Property Owners
Fire Safety During Vacation Travels