What are the Risks of Neglecting Fire Safety in Your Building?
As a property owner, you need to understand that Chicago fire safety is a highly critical part of your ownership. When you rent to tenants, you have to ensure their safety in the event a fire breaks out in your building. Whether it is an electrical issue or some other problem, you’re responsible for the neglect of keeping up with fire safety regulations in the city of Chicago.
It is important that you understand the risks you face should you not keep your fire safety up to date within your building.
- Building Repairs – When you have insurance, your insurance is responsible for fixing issues to your building in the case of fire damage. However, if you do not do your part to keep up the Chicago fire safety regulations, they can deny your claim. That means you’re left holding the bag to fix any damage done to your building when or if a fire breaks out.
- Lawsuits – Did you know that if your building is not up to fire safety code with the compliant equipment, you can face a lawsuit if a person is injured or killed in the fire? Furthermore, you personally, and your HOA board, can personally be held responsible in the event of a death. Most people do not realize that it can come down to a suit against their own assets, not just the building itself.
- Liability Coverage – In the event of a fire, the insurance company typically covers the board with a liability policy as well. That would help in the instance that someone sued the board or owner personally. However, if the fire safety standards have not been kept up to date, that policy will be denied as well.
So, how can you as the owner and your board ensure that your property is safe and compliant with all fire safety regulations in Chicago? Work with a company such as Connected Fire that can help you! This company has years of experience in staying updated on all the regulations and changes that are made to them on a routine basis. They can also help you to ensure that all equipment is inspected, maintained, and repaired as it is needed.
Chicago fire safety is not a small feat and it can be overwhelming when you’re the owner of multiple properties. To ensure that you do not miss a code update or that you become in violation of the standards, work with a certified and experienced company.
A few of the services Connected Fire provides includes:
- Fire extinguisher servicing and maintenance
- Checking equipment throughout the building
- Testing and installing emergency lighting
- Installing and maintaining smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the building
- Sales and installation of extinguishers
- And much more!
Give Connected Fire a call today to see how you and your board can be protected in the event of a fire. It is also a way to ensure the safety of your tenants and reduce the risk of a tragic accident if a fire should break out.