What is carbon monoxide poisoning? Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas commonly found in combustion fumes. Such fumes are created by burning gas, wood, propane, or charcoal. Not surprisingly, carbon monoxide poisoning is caused by breathing in too much carbon monoxide. Inhaling the fumes allows it to build up in your bloodstream, and it replaces the oxygen that your red blood cells need with harmful carbon monoxide molecules. Prolonged exposure to this odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas can lead to severe damage to one’s tissue and brain, and it can even lead to death. Carbon monoxide symptoms & signs Due...
Fire Safety Learning Center
Articles and other information related to fire safety equipment and procedures in Illinois.
For a condo association, you will need a carbon monoxide detector installed in any room containing a heating unit that utilizes fossil fuel. (Refers to common areas only) For example, if your building has a centralized heating system that uses coal, natural gas, kerosene, oil, propane or wood as fuel, a carbon monoxide detector will be required in the same room as the heating system. The sections of the Chicago Building Code related to carbon monoxide detectors (that affect condo associations) are as follows: 13-64-280 Carbon monoxide detectors – Buildings heated by central fossil fuel powered heating unit. In every building...
Smoke Detectors are covered in Sections 13-64-120 through 13-64-180. Carbon Monoxide Detectors are covered in Section 13-64-190. The Chicago Municipal Code is available online here: http://www.amlegal.com/codes/client/chicago_il/.